Friday 6 March 2009

Overview:

This module is an introduction to the essentials of maritime law, guiding youu in managing boats in compliance with both national and international legal requirements.

Assessment is by coursework submission.

Format:

1. Course introduction, lectures, seminars and visits over two days in Falmouth
2. Course of study of 4 weeks using distance learning techniques, requiring access to Broadband.
3. Submission of coursework and feedback within 2 weeks of receipt.

Coursework:

1. Multi-choice in-class test at the conclusion of your Falmouth stay
2. Essay at the conclusion of the distance learning course.

The programme of study is geared to answer the following questions:

  • How can I effectively study from home?
  • What IT tools are available to help with my study?
  • What are the essentials of English Law?
  • How can I recognise a legally enforecable contract?
  • How can I best manage my risk, whether civil or criminal?
  • How does international law help our understanding of safety and eco-system management?
  • How can I buy a boat and be sure of obtaining legal title?
  • How can I insure my boat?
  • How can I raise finance for my boat?
  • What laws govern the build and operation of boats?
  • How is the maritime community responding to the challenges of climate change?

Visits:

  • Mylor Yard
  • Coastguard/MCA
  • Pendennis Marina/Docks Marina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Rory builds boats, furniture and structures working with a variety of social enterprises in Cornwall. He lectures on Wildlife Law and works closely with the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society and the Fal/Helford Special Area of Conservation